These certificates were issued by the Jewish Agency in Palestine. The British Mandate authorities set the maximum number of certificates to be issued in a single year at 7,500. In 1942 the Nazis allowed several Jews to go to Palestine in return for the departure of some Germans from there. Many Jews applied for Palestine certificates (only those with relatives in Palestine were eligible). At first those who had applied for such a certificate were left alone by the Nazis. In late 1943 the Jewish Agency for Palestine eventually issued 1,297 certificates. Many applicants had been deported by then. In January 1944 the holders of the 1,297 certificates were transferred to the exchange camp at Bergen-Belsen. Only 221 reached Palestine in July 1944.
See also: Palestine pioneers.