The cell barracks were opened in 1919 and were confiscated by the Nazi forces of occupation for use as prison accommodations following their invasion in May 1940. At that point the cell barracks were nicknamed the Oranjehotel after the Dutch monarchy to denote the resistance fighters held there. The staff initially consisted of civilian prison wardens. Later the cell barracks became the purview of the Sicherheitsdienst.
Complex of cell barracks forming a penitentiary in Scheveningen.